Wow, there sure are a lot of female super heroes on this list. That doesn’t reflect a giant gaping hole in my life or anything.
1. Young Avengers
For sooo many reasons this deserves it own television show. A movie simply wouldn’t be enough for me. Plus, a young cast would be appealing for everyone who watches. Let’s not forget that everyone in Young Avengers is a freaking treasure. From Teddy and Billie, my favorite gay couple. To Kate Bishop, our awesome new Hawkeye. And America Chavez a.k.a Ms. America.
The series also has a lot of content that would make some great seasons. There is romance, fighting, and death! Seriously, I need this in my life.
2. The Runaways
Like Young Avengers, Runaways offers a big cast, great diversity, and an equally great story that is perfect for television. The story is about a group of teenagers who find out their parents are a group of evil villains. The kids discover their own abilities and runaway to escape the life of evil that was planned for them. It features some of my favorite (female) Marvel characters including Nico Minoru, the group’s leader, and Gertude who has a pet Dinosaur.
3. Scarlet Witch
Everyone seems to be on the Black Widow: Movie bandwagon and that’s cool but I want a Scarlet Witch movie. Seriously, there just wasn’t enough of her in Age of Ultron and she’s one of my favorite characters. If it isn’t clear by now I pretty much adore the entire Maximoff family.
The movie could even solidify her and Vision’s relationship for all nonbelievers. I just really want more Scarlet Watch being a badass. Age of Ultron did not satisfy this need.
4. The Adventures of Young Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr
We kind of already have a movie about the adventures of these two iconic characters (First Class and Days of Future Past.) But Darnit, I want more. A comic series or television show that documents the shenanigans of these two would be great. Magneto has gotten his own series numerous times, why not pair him up with his best frenemy.
And while they’re at it, can Marvel just confirm that these two are in love?
5. Kamala Khan Made for TV
We’re getting a Super Girl television show, but what I really want is a Kamala Khan show (or movie!) It would be a great way to add another female to the Marvel group and bring someone that teens can identify with. Disney might actually be realizing this with the recent announcement that Kamala will appear in the cartoon show Avengers Assemble. Now let’s generate enough interest to get her own show… I’d even be okay if it was animated.
Kamala is awesome and she has a lot going for her. She’s strong, funny, and has the same hero worship of Iron Man and Captain Marvel as the rest of us.
Senshi: I guess what I’m saying with this list is we want more girl super hero movies.
Marvel: What do you say?
Before moving into this week’s Friends of Fandom here are some comic series that would have made the list but have happily been picked up for television adaptions! Horay! Both of these shows were announced this week. How weird is that?
A round up of internet things For Fans, By Fans, with the Help of Fans.
1. If you haven’t heard the big news, Leonard Nimoy’s son has a Kickstarter to make a documentary about his father! The documentary is currently entitled, “For the Lock of Spock.” The project is a labor of love for family and fans of the late Nimoy. If you’re interested, check it out and support.
2. The Fury Road Fandom just keeps giving us more and more cool stuff. Including a handmade Funko Pop Fruiosa and Fury Road My Little Ponies. This Fandom is a treasure and we should never forget that.
3. Fanlore is having a June Bloom, where they are asking you (the fans) to help create pages on topics they might be missing. Throughout the month they will post themes and ideas to help generate pages. For those who aren’t familiar with Fanlore, it is a wiki-like page that documents fandom history. If you thought you could get lost on Wikipedia for hours just try exploring Fanlore.
4. J.K Rowling defends gay wizards everywhere after Ireland legalized same sex marriage. Rowling tweeted, “Sitting here watching the Irish make history. Extraordinary and wonderful.” and later posted, that Dumbledore could now get married in Ireland. Here’s the best part though, she did this with a meme of a shocked Keanu Reeves accompanied by the text: “What if Dumbledore and Gandalf were gay together”. So, Rowling ships it.
5. Earlier I posted about my recent Binge session on Carmilla and now the web series is asking fans to nominate it for the Steamy Awards which is dedicated to the best online series of the year. One of last year’s Steamy Award winners included the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. If you’d like to check out the Steamy Awards webpage and nominate Carmilla or any fan favorite web series check it out here!